8.05.2008

Listening Party: August 5



Animal Collective: Strawberry Jam- I still haven't made up my mind about this band. Some of this record is pretty sweet (i.e. "Winter Wonder Land" which seems like a Flaming Lips b-side) and then other times I'm sitting there listening to it and wondering if I'm in a planetarium or something because of the non-stop pulsing of the blips and boops. I guess the easiest thing to say is I am impressed by their mastery of sounds and that I like the record "Feels" a lot better. A friend once told me that sounds are like paint brushes and to paint your vision you need brushes of different colors and shapes to get the job done. Animal Collective certainly has a lot of brushes around for their assault on the canvas. First listen, so we'll see how it sits.



Aaliyah: One In A Million- Sometimes its easy to forget the Timbaland/Missy production team of old with the more stripped down sound. Still had that drumstick shimmy but lacked (usually) the frantic energy or pushing random button type sounds you are more likely to hear nowadays. I came of age to a lot of music, but whenever I hear Timbaland's voice, talking on the track and letting you know who you are listening to from Missy, to Ginuwine, to Aaliyah, I get all nostalgic. Besides, what's not to like about 90's R&B? Its sound is so syrupy thick with just the right amount of groove. This cd is like that and its got as Aaliyah says in the intro, "Beats 4 Da Streets." and..... Aaliyah is soothing in her own right. Take some time, and go have your own 90's party.

No comments: